New Delhi :
The Narendra Modi government on Saturday told the Supreme Court that it’s December 14, 2018 order upholding 36 Rafale fighter jets deal was correct and it now can’t be reviewed based on internal file notings. In a fresh affidavit filed before the top court, the Centre said, "The Dec 14, 2018 judgement upholding 36 Rafale jets' deal was correct and unsubstantiated media reports or internal file notings deliberately projected in a selective manner cannot form basis for review."
The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear the Rafale review petitions on May 6. The top court had issued formal notice to Centre seeking its replu on on review petitions filed against the December 14 judgement on Rafale deal.
On this, Attorney General KK Venugopal had sought four-week time to file reply on the review. Court then asked Centre to file reply by May 4 and posted the matter for hearing on May 6.
Last month, the Supreme Court had dismissed governments objection claiming privilege over stolen documents which were used by petitioners to seek review of Rafale judgement. The Supreme Court had allowed the admissibility of three of the procured documents in Rafale deal.
On April 13, the Ministry of Defence had rejected a media report claiming that France waived off taxes worth 143.7 million Euros to a telecom subsidiary of Anil Ambani's company in 2015, months after India's announcement of buying 36 Rafale jets.
The clarification from the government came after The Le Monde, a leading French newspaper, claimed that the tax authorities in France accepted 7.3 million euros from Reliance Flag Atlantic France as a settlement as against original demand of 151 million euros. Reliance Flag owns a terrestrial cable network and other telecom infrastructure in France.