Reports of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi electrocution during a roadshow in Agra have been dismissed. Earlier, reports had surfaced alleging that the Congress VP suffered a minor shock from a live wire during a ceremony in Agra on Saturday.
Dismissing the news, news agency ANI reported, "News that Rahul Gandhi got electrocuted in Agra (UP) is incorrect, the wire which fell on Gandhi was not a live wire."
According to a report in a Hindi daily, the Congress leader was felicitating the statue of Agrasen at the Fountain Square in Agra when the incident took place.
News that Rahul Gandhi got electrocuted in Agra (UP) is incorrect, the wire which fell on Gandhi was not a live wire.— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) October 1, 2016
Eyewitnesses said that Congress VP was electrocuted after his head touched a live wire right above the statue during the ceremony. He immediately jerked back and avoided any major tragedy, the report said.
Actor and politician Raj Babbar was him during the incident. Later, taking the incidence as a joke, Rahul Gandhi told Babbar, "Tumne toh mujhe current lagva diya (You have given me a shock)."
Congress leader subsequently asked supporters to stay alert and not throw any flowers on the statue.