Rohit Shekhar Tiwari, son of late Congress leader ND Tiwari, who fought a prolonged battle for his mother's rights and his own legitimacy, on Tuesday brought dead to Max Saket hospital in New Delhi. Shekhar was residing in Defence Colony before he was rushed to the hospital this evening. Though there are reports that Shekhar was died of heart-attack, the police is yet to disclose the cause of his death. Investigations are on to ascertain the reason of his death.
"Max Hospital received an emergency call from the residence of Mr Rohit Shekhar Tiwari at 04:41 pm this afternoon. An ambulance brought Mr Tiwari to Max Hospital, Saket, where he was declared "brought dead" at the hospital emergency. As per established procedure, we have informed the authorities," the Max Healthcare said in a statement.
"We express condolences at the passing away of Mr Tiwari," it added.
As Shekhar left for his eternal abode this evening, here we bring you some of the lesser known facts about his year-long battle against father ND Tiwari:
- Rohit was born as an illegitimate child of an affair between his mother Ujjwala Sharma, a former Sanskrit Reader of Daulatram College, Delhi and Narayan Dutt Tiwari, one of India's most powerfull politicians, who breathed his last in last October.
- In 1995, Shekhar, along with his mother tried to reach Tiwari but his security guards prevented them from entering the house.
- In 2005, he made his last effort to contact Tiwari which gone in vain. Post that he had in 2007 moved the Delhi High Court and filed a paternity suit to prove that ND Tiwari is his biological father.
- In 2007, Shekhar suffered another heart attack and a cerebral stroke which made gim partially paralised for a year.
- After fighting the paternity suit against Tiwari for about seven years, Shekhar finally got his right in April, 2014, when the Delhi High Court announced him as Tiwari's biological son based on their DNA test.
- During his childhood days, Shekhar lived with his mother and grandpaernts. Besides his mother, Shekhar has been also raised by his nanny - Jozie.
- Shekhar was married to Apurva Shukla, a resident of Madhya Pradesh. Tiwari and Shulka tied knots on March 11, 2019.
- Shekhar, who is also an avid music lover, also received in Indian classical music from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya in New Delhi.
- Though ND Tiwari was a prominent leader of the Congress, Shekhar had chosen to join the BJP after he setpped into politics.
- Rohit also has an elder brother who was born to her mother Ujjwala Sharma and her ex husband BP Sharma.
- Before 2014, Shekhar was known to be the son of BP Sharma as Tiwari refused to lend his name to the child, fearing a big blow to his political career.
Even in the 21st century, India is still a feudal society and a very unforgiving place for women, where having a child without wedlock is a matter of shame and considered illegal.