News Nation Logo

Second Confirmed Case Of Coronavirus Reported From Kerala, Patient Being Monitored

Meanwhile, The Special Flight Of Air India Carrying The Second Batch Of Indian Passengers On Board Took Off From Coronavirus-hit Wuhan In China On Sunday.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Raghwendra Shukla | Updated on: 02 Feb 2020, 09:45:17 AM
Coronavirus

Second confirmed case of coronavirus reported from Kerala, patient being monitored (Photo Credit: IANS)

New Delhi:

India's second confirmed case of novel coronavirus has been reported in Kerala, days after a China-returned student was tested positive in the southern state. The report has been confirmed by the Ministry of Health. "Second positive case of Novel Coronavirus patient has been reported in Kerala. The patient has a travel history from China... The patient has tested positive for novel cornavirus and is in isolation in the hospital. The patient is stable and is being closely monitored," said a statement issued by the ministry.

Meanwhile, the special flight of Air India carrying the second batch of Indian passengers on board took off from coronavirus-hit Wuhan in China on Sunday. The special flight is expected to land in Delhi at 0910 hours. Earlier on Saturday, Air India's jumbo B747 plane, evacuated 324 Indian nationals from Wuhan.

“The 2nd Air India flight from Wuhan (China) has taken off for Delhi with 323 Indian citizens on board. 7 Maldives citizens also evacuated”, news agency ANI quotes Vikram Misri, Ambassador of India to China as saying.

“A special word of appreciation for two of our officers who are on board the plane - Deepak Padmakumar and M Balakrishnan - they showed exemplary fortitude and a real spirit of public service by travelling to ground zero in #Wuhan to coordinate airport arrangements. Kudos to both,” he tweeted.

The death count in China’s due to coronavirus outbreak has reached to 304 and the number of confirmed cases notched up to 14,380, China’s national authorities announced on Sunday. All the deaths are in Hubei Province, according to China’s National Health Commission.

4,562 new suspected cases reported

Another 4,562 new suspected cases were reported on Saturday, said the commission. On Saturday, 315 patients became seriously ill and 85 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, the Commission said.

The first case of the new virus was confirmed on December 31, and it has since been detected in Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and the United States.

The virus' rapid spread in two months prompted the World Health Organization on Thursday to declare it a global emergency.

Moreover, the United States declared a public health emergency on Friday and President Donald Trump signed an order barring entry to foreign nationals who visited China within the last 14 days, which scientists say is the virus' longest incubation period. The restrictions don't apply to immediate family of American citizens and permanent residents.

With PTI Inputs

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 02 Feb 2020, 09:28:03 AM