Anti-CAA protesters of Shaheen Bagh have been blocking a side of a road connecting southeast Delhi to Noida since mid-December. (Photo Credit: IANS/File)
In a big development, the son of a Shaheen Bagh’s anti-CAA protester has been tested positive for the deadly coronavirus, which has claimed at 4 lives in India. The person tested positive for COVID-19 is a resident of Delhi’s Jahangirpuri Eidgah Road and has been admitted to Safdarjung hospital. According to reports, the patient’s mother and sister have been regularly participating in the protest against the Citizenship Amendment Act at the Shaheen Bagh.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court will have on Monday PILs seeking the immediate removal of these protesters to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The PILs seeking the removal of protesters will be heard by a three-judge bench of Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul, Justice KM Joseph and Justice Sanjiv Khanna on March 23.
However, the women protesters in Shaheen Bagh will continue with their protest on Sunday, the day when Prime Minister Narendra Modi has urged people to remain inside their houses under a self-imposed curfew.
The women have been blocking a side of a road connecting southeast Delhi to Noida since mid-December to protest against the amended citizenship law.
On Monday, the Delhi government said gatherings with more than 50 people were not allowed in the wake of the novel coronavirus pandemic. The size of gatherings has since been reduce to 20 people.
"It also applies to Shaheen Bagh," Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had said.
The protesters on Friday told PTI that not more than 50 women had been staging protest at any given time.
"On Sunday, we will sit under small tents (at the protest side). Only two women will sit under each tent and maintain a distance of more than a metre between them," a protester who did not wish to be named said.
Another protester, Rizvana, said the women had been taking every precaution and they were covered in burqa all the time.
With Agency Inputs