Supreme Court agrees to review validity of Triple Talaq law, issues notice to Modi govt
The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to examine the validity of Triple Talaq law, which makes the practice among Muslims a punishable offence. The top court has also issued a notice to the Narendra Modi government in this regard. A Bench of Justices NV Ramana and Ajay Rastogi heard three petitions filed by Samastha Kerala Jamiathul Ulema, Sayyed Farooq and Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind. Last month, President Ram Nath Kovind gave his assent to the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage), Bill, 2019 that made instant triple talaq among Muslims a criminal offence. With his nod, the Bill has become an Act. It will be deemed to have come into force from September 19, 2018. The Bill will replace an ordinance promulgated on February 21 to the same effect.
Earlier, Union Home Minister Amit Shah had said that appeasement, which led to the Partition, is the reason for evil practice of triple talaq continuing for so long. Speaking on the 'Abolition of Triple Talaq: Correcting a Historic Wrong' at the Constitution Club in New Delhi, Shah said triple talaq was a malpractice, there is no doubt about it in anybody's mind. “Some parties opposed the bill in Parliament but deep inside their heart they knew it was a malpractice that needed to end but they didn't have the courage to do it,” he said.
Shah also defended the law criminalising triple talaq, saying it is going to benefit Muslims, and not other communities. Coming down heavily on the Congress, he said the party has "no shame" and continues to oppose the law on triple talaq.