M Nageswara Rao, former CBI interim director, has been held guilty of contempt by the Supreme Court on Tuesday. The Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi held Rao and Director of Prosecution guilty of Contempt of Court. The top court also imposed Rs 1 lakh fine on Rao and Director of Prosecution. With folded hands, both Rao and Director of Prosecution sought apology from the Supreme Court. The Bench also sentenced them till the rising of the Court.
The verdict comes a day after Rao tendered an unconditional apology for transferring a senior officer, heading the probe in the Bihar shelter home cases in the Supreme Court, saying he should have taken the court's permission before the order. He added that he did defy the court's order knowingly.
Submitting his affidavit in the top court, Rao said: “I sincerely realise my mistake, and while tendering my unqualified and unconditional apology specifically, I state that I have willfully not violated the orders of this Hon’ble court, as I cannot even dream of violating or circumventing the orders of this Hon’ble court.”
The Supreme Court Thursday issued a contempt notice to and asked him to personally appear before it on February 12 for transferring a senior officer, heading the probe in the Bihar shelter home cases, with a warning that "only God help you". The apex court took serious note of transfer of former CBI Joint Director AK Sharma to CRPF on January 17 without its prior permission despite specific orders earlier that the probe into shelter homes cases, including the Muzaffarpur rape and sexual harassment matter, has to be supervised by him only.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi took serious note of the violation of the two earlier orders and issued contempt notice to Rao for transferring Sharma to the CRPF on January 17 without taking prior permission from the court. "I unhesitatingly accept my mistake and tender my unconditional and unequivocal apology to this court. I most respectfully pray that this court may be graciously pleased to accept the same," Rao said.
He also submitted that the officer was transferred "not with any deliberate or disobedient intent and it is humbly submitted that it was never my intention to undermine the majesty of this court or flout or circumvent any direction of this court." The IPS officer, who is additional director in the CBI, said he has highest respect for the apex court and prayed "most humbly and respectfully" that his apology be accepted. In his affidavit, Rao narrated his achievements in 32 years as an IPS officer.