Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday responded to the debate on the motion of thanks to the President's address in the Lower House of Parliament. President Ram Nath Kovind addressed a joint sitting of both the Houses on January 31 - the opening day of the Budget Session 2019. Though the motion was moved in the Rajya Sabha, the discussion could not be started due to pandemonium in the House. The Upper House was adjourned for the day after discussions over the roster system for reservation in educational institutions failed to take off.
In his address to the Lok Sabha, the prime minister has replied to the Opposition’s attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government over a host of issues, including alleged tardy employment generation, the state of economy, agriculture and foreign affairs, among others, and listed its achievements in the last five years.
Here are the top 10 quotes from Prime Minister Narendra Modi's address in Lok Sabha:
1. Our friends in Congress see things in two time periods. BC - Before Congress, when nothing happened. AD - After dynasty- where everything happened.
2. In hating Modi, the opposition has begun to hate the nation. That is why their leaders go to London and do press conferences to show India in a bad light.
3. Do you know what is my crime for them? That a person born to a poor family is challenging their sultanate.
4. In the last four and half years, India became 6th largest economy from the 10-11th largest. When we reached 11th position then people, who cannot even be seen in opposition now, praised themselves. They felt proud about reaching 11th, why are they saddened when we have reached 6th.
5. In 1959, Congress Central Government dismissed the Communist Govt in Kerala, 60 years now, hope my friends from Kerala remember. So, what sanctity? What respect of institutions?
6. 'Mahamilawat' can happen in Kolkata only, not possible in Delhi: PM Modi's dig at 'Mahagathbandhan'.
7. In their 55 years, sanitation coverage was around 38% and in our 55 months, it is nearly 98%. Gas connections in their 55 years were 12 crore, it is 13 crore in 55 months. We have worked at a greater speed in our five years.
8. Congress questions the EC and EVM but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress bullies the judiciary but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress calls Planning Commission a bunch of jokers…but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress has misused Article 356 several times, but Modi is destroying institutions.
9. Congress was accumulating wealth for themselves during CWG.
10. We speak the truth, be it in the country or outside, in Parliament or outside but your ability to listen to truth has diminished.
11. Congress does not want our armed forces to be strong, they want Rafale deal to be scrapped.
12. Price rise and Congress are a team. When Congress comes, so does rising prices.
13. You gave India 2G scam, we gave the most affordable data rates in the world.
14. Two songs became very popular, 'Baaki kuch bacha to mehengayi maar gayi' and 'mehengayi dayen khaaye jaat hai' - both these songs were in whose tenure?
15. I assure you, those who have looted the nation will continue to be scared of Narendra Modi.
16. After demonetisation, 3 lakh fraud companies have shut down across India.
17. Inflation and Congress have a strong bond.
18. Mahatma Gandhi had recommended dissolution of Congress.
19. Babasaheb Ambedkar had said joining Congress is like committing suicide.
20. Every deal has a middleman under Congress.