Two women died and six other members of a family were taken ill after consuming tea laced with pesticide at their house in Kaimur district, an official said on Tuesday.
The incident took place in Sotwa village under Kudhani police station area when some members of a family were drinking tea, sub-divisional officer Shiv Kumar Raut said. The tea contained pesticide, he said.
Two women, Jaswanti Devi (65) and her daughter Sheela Devi (45), died after drinking it and six others were taken ill. The bodies have been sent for post-mortem, while the ailing persons were taken to hospital, the SDO said adding a probe was on in the matter.