Who is Mukul Wasnik â€“ frontrunner for new Congress chief's post?
Apart From Wasnik, Other Names Being Talked About For The Top Post In The Congress Include Sushil Kumar Shinde, Mallikarjun Kharge, Jyotiraditya Scindia And Sachin Pilots.
The Indian National Congress, which is looking up to its leadership for direction after its humiliating defeat in the Lok Sabha polls, may appoint Mukul Wasnik, a former union minister, as the next party chief after Rahul Gandhi. The grand old party is going through a major leadership crisis following Gandhi's resignation as the Congress president in early July. He put in his papers, taking accountability of the Congress' disastrous performance in the recently held General Elections 2019.
Apart from Wasnik, other names being talked about for the top post in the Congress include Sushil Kumar Shinde, Mallikarjun Kharge, Jyotiraditya Scindia and Sachin Pilot. The picture could be cleared in the coming days with the Congress Working Committee (CWC) expected to meet next week to find Gandhi's successor.
Sources, however, said Wasnik has better chances to succeed Rahul Gandhi as Congress interim president anytime soon. Will Wasnik be able to become the bridge between old and new guard in the Congress? What will be his strategies to resurrect the party’s lost glory in coming days? Amidst these burning questions, here we bring you some lesser known facts about Wasnik, who is likely to make it to the top post in the Congress.
READ | Robert Vadra all praises for Rahul Gandhi, vows to be with him in his 'service to nation'
Who is Mukul Wasnik?
- Wasnik, 59, is currently working as the General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee.
- Born as Mukul Balkrishna Wasnik, the Congress leader also served as the Former Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment in the Manmohan Singh government.
- Wasnik represented the Ramtek constituency of Maharashtra in 2009. Also, he has represented Buldhana Lok Sabha constituency in Maharashtra during 12th Lok Sabha between 1998 and 1999, 10th Lok Sabha from 1991 to 1996 and 8th Lok Sabha during 1984-1989.
- In 1984 Wasnik became the youngest Member of Parliament at age of 25.
- He was National President of National Students Union of India between 1984 and 1986.
- Mukul Wasnik was President of Indian Youth Congress during 1988-1990.
- Wasnik is the son of veteran Congress Leader and three time MP Balkrishna Wasnik.
- Wasnik's favourite past times include cooking, music and photography (birding).
For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published : 09 Aug 2019, 06:08:32 PM