Why Army Day Is Celebrated On January 15? All You Need To Know
Congratulating The Army, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Said, â€œOur Army Is Known For Its Valour And Professionalism. It Is Also Respected For Its Humanitarian Spirit.
Army day is celebrated to salute the valiant soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country and its citizens. (Photo Credit: PTI)
Army Day is celebrated on 15th January every year, in recognition of Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa's (then a Lieutenant General) taking over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief of India, on 15th January 1949. The President and Prime Minister extended their greetings to the men and women in uniform for their sacrifice and courage in guarding the borders of the country.
In a tweet, President Kovind wrote, “On Army Day, greetings to the valiant men and women of the Indian Army, to veterans and to their families. You are our nation’s pride, the sentinels of our liberty. Your immense sacrifice has secured our sovereignty, brought glory to our nation and protected our people. Jai Hind!”
Congratulating the Army, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “Our Army is known for its valour and professionalism. It is also respected for its humanitarian spirit. Whenever people have needed help, our Army has risen to the occasion and done everything possible! Proud of our Army.”
Facts about Army Day
- Army day is celebrated to salute the valiant soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country and its citizens.
- At the Army Day celebration in Jammu and Kashmir, serving army personnel get the bravery and famed service awards (Sena medals, Vishist Seva medals, among others).
- For the first time in the history of Indian Army, Lieutenant Bhavana Kasturi lead the Indian Army’s Service Corps (ASC) contingent and Captain Shikha Surabhi, a female officer, will be leading the Army’s Daredevils Motorcycle Display team comprising 33 men riding nine bikes in a pyramid.
- Army Day parade is carried out by the Indian army soldiers (Indian army bands) which involves the exhibition of BLT T-72, T-90 tanks, Brahmos Missile, carrier Mortar Tracked Vehicle, 155 MM Soltum Gun, Advanced Light Helicopters of the Army Aviation Corps and etc.
- Serving Indian Army personnel take a pledge to maintain their service and protect the nation from enemies whether they are foreign or domestic.
For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published : 15 Jan 2020, 12:33:34 PM