Air pollution in national capital Delhi has flown off charts. According to official data, the amount of pollutants in the air is 17 times more than the permissible limit. Cases of breathlessness and allergy has spiked remarkably. Here is what who can do to avoid getting sick in this environment:
1. Avoid outdoors: Try to stay at home or within enclosed buildings like office and school as much as possible to avoid breathing in pollutants
2. Ditch morning walk: The pollution levels are higher when Sun is not out, so try to avoid going out for walk or exercise in the morning as pollutants in the air will be remarkably high.
3. Keep the car air conditioners on: While travelling, keep the Car AC on and windows rolled up, even if it is cool.
4. Use Air mask: Invest in good air mask for family before they fly off shelves, make sure children wear them to schools.
5. No air is fresh air at home: The temperature might have dropped but unfortunately it is not time to open windows and doors to let fresh air in. The air is not fresh so keep windows closed and switch on AC to breathe safely.
6. Invest in air purifiers: This might seem excessive, but air purifiers can be a boon for people with asthma and other allergies in this condition.
7. Wash all utensils and veggies just before use: Even if you cleaned it all, wash them again right before use, preferably with purified water. The pollutants in the air settle on everything, including kitchen items.
8. Personal hygiene: lay extra stress on washing hands and face right after coming indoors and right before eating anything to avoid ingesting pollutants.
9. Extra care: Try to do gargles with warm saline water before sleeping every night.
10. Drink liquids: The liquid content washes away any impurity we might inhale, so it is important to drink lots of fluids in this environment to avoid any pollutants to stay back in our body.
Hope the above tips will keep you safe till the smog lifts.