Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik on Wednesday dismissed the reports of him coming back to India in a certain section of media.
“The news of my coming to India is totally baseless and false. I have no plans to come to India till I don’t feel safe from unfair prosecution,” news agency ANI quoted Naik as saying.
Naik, who is known for his hate speeches and allegedly inspiring Muslims to take up arms, said that he will only return the “homeland” when he will feel that the government will be fair to him.
“Insha Allah when I feel that the government will be just and fair, I will surely return to my homeland,” he said.
Naik's lawyer Mubin Solkar also dismissed the reports and made clear that there had been no progress on Indian government's reported move to seek extradition of his client.
"This news is absolutely false and baseless. As far as extradition process is concerned, it was earlier reported that Indian Govt has initiated extradition proceedings but there has been no progress.
National Investigation Agency (NIA) also denied having any information regarded to Naik’s “homecoming”.
“We have no such information as of now. We are verifying it,” ANI quoted NIA Spokesperson Alok Mittal as saying.
Earlier, a section of media was quoting Malaysian government sources to claim that Naik will take a flight to India on Wednesday.
Naik is wanted by the NIA in several cases related to money laundering and hate speeches. His speeches had allegedly ISIS terrorist involved in the 2016 Dhaka attack.