Zeenat ul Islam alias Alqama has been appointed as the new Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander in Kashmir, according to the intelligence inputs. After the death of Abu Ismail, the man behind the July 10 Amarnath attack, which killed eight people, LeT named Zeenat ul Islam as its new commander. Security forces gunned down Lashkar commander Abu Ismail in Nowgam encounter along with another terrorist.
Abu Ismail was the main culprit in the attack, who carried out the attack to take revenge the death of his predecessor Bashir Lashkari.
All you need to know about Zeenat ul Islam
1. The 28-year-old Zeenat ul Islam is an expert with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs). She was reportedly recruited in Lashkar in November 2015.
2. He was booked under the Public Safety Act (PSA) for being a member of Al-Badr, also arrested for the first time in 2008. He was working as a ground worker for Al-Badr members, supplying them food and other things.
3. His father is an Imam (muezzin) in the local mosque. Ismail worked with his father after he released from jail in 2011.
4. Currently, Zeenat ul Islam is one of the five most wanted terrorist by the security forces in the valley.
5. Not only this she was the main accused in the Shopian attack of February 23, 2017. Zeenat ul Islam worked with his father and got married before joining LeT. He completed his Bachelors of Arts from a local college.