Acne mistakes that can make your breakouts worse
First of all, acne isn’t just associated with puberty. Adults face acne problems too, the same or even worse than teenagers. During puberty, sebaceous glands are on an overdrive that lead to excess release of sebum. And we all remember our mothers consoling us that acne problem will last only during teenage years, which isn’t true. Unfortunately, it isn't true: anyone at any age can suffer from acne. And treating them can be tricky and exhilarating. Being loaded with tips and tricks from people around you can be overwhelming at times.
Also Read | Should Aloe Vera be used as a skin care routine?
So, how about the simple things you unknowingly do that are making your breakout even worse:
- Not changing our pillow case: Those red zits become frequent because you continue to overlook the little things that can have a huge outcome. Dirty pillow case is one among them. Not washing your pillowcase or not changing them often can worsen the problem. This is because pillowcases hold breakout-causing dirt, debris, bacteria, oils, and dead skin cells that contain a lot of germs and bacteria which can further escalate acne. Not only this, Dirty pillowcases can even cause fungal infections. Therefore, it is advised to change your pillow cases every second day to combat this problem.
- Wearing glasses without cleaning them: Wearing glasses is essential if you’ve a poor sight. But wearing glasses every day without cleaning them could be making your break outs worse.
- Not cleaning your Phone: A dirty cell phone can harbour the same negative outcome as wearing dirty glass. Dirty cell phone screen when pressed against your face can transfer bacteria and dirt, causing further breakouts.
- Popping your pimples: The temptation to pop the pimples is strong, but popping your pimples almost always leads to further breakouts. When you pop a pimple, you may rupture the stretched and weakened follicle in your skin. This then spills the bacteria, oil and cellular debris underneath your skin, which leads to more breakouts.
- Washing your face too much: You must probably assume that that breakout is because of having an oily skin type. Hence, washing your face often can seem a viable solution, but this isn’t the case. Cleansing is an essential step in fighting and preventing acne, but there's definitely such a thing as too much of a good thing. Over cleansing your skin can backfire and make your skin dry, which makes it produce more oil to make up for that dryness. Cleanse it once a day or if you have a very dry skin cleansing your skin only at night will suffice.
- Only treating breakouts when they appear: Since centuries, prevention is considered better than cure. The same rule applies to your skin care. Taking up combat against this problem only after you get a pimple can spell a major problems for your skin, like breakouts and irritation. To prevent acne problems, you must involve a skin-care regime that you must follow regularly. Your regime should involve more than just a spot treatment or an acne-fighting cleanser when it pops up. Remember to cleanse, tone and moisturise (CTM routine) regularly by choosing the right product for your skin type.
- Washing your face with warm water: Everyone at one point must have committed the mistake of washing the face with warm water, because it is lot more convenient during the winter season. Warm or too hot water can dry out your skin and cause more of these zits to appear.
- Exfoliating too much: Exfoliation is vital to great skin, but less is more when it comes to your pressure.When you scrub too hard, you can actually spread bacteria, cause a spike in oil production, and cause breakouts. Exfoliate too much might create an open wound, making your skin very vulnerable to scarring. Therefore, exfoliating only once or twice a week is advised.
Also Read | Organic pesticides you can make straight out of your kitchen shelf
First Published : 22 Sep 2018, 01:56:16 PM