Should Aloe Vera be used as a skin care routine?
Aloe Vera which belong to the cacti family is a succulent plant found in most tropical areas of the world. Since ancient times, it has been used as a healing agent. Today, Aloe Vera is a major ingredient found in almost every skin and hair care product. It is known to treat wounds, burns, minor skin infections, cysts, diabetes, elevated blood, among others and are effective in treating a variety of skin conditions such as dry skin, flaky skin, hair and scalp problems.
Also Read | Organic pesticides you can make straight out of your kitchen shelf
These are five reasons why Aloe Vera should be used in one’s skin care routine:
- Aloe Vera acts as a moisturiser: Moisturising is the key to a healthy skin. Dry skin can give rise to acnes and blemishes while also make the skin age faster. Aloe Vera moisturises the skin without giving it a greasy feel making it perfect for people even with an oily skin. It can also be used as an aftershave treatment for men because its healing properties can treat small cuts often caused by razor blades.
- Aleo Vera are a great acne treatment: Hormonal changes, sebum production gives birth to acne problems. Aloe Vera gel contains hormones such as auxin and gibberellins which have healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying Aloe Vera gel allows the skin to heal quickly and naturally with minimal scarring while also reducing skin inflammation.
- Aleo Vera has anti-aging properties: With age, the skin loses the firmness and elasticity giving way to wrinkles. Aloe leaves are filled with anti-oxidants such as vitamin C and E which are fundamental to improve the skin's natural firmness and keep the skin hydrated.
- Aloe Vera acts as sunburns: Aloe Vera is rich with anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-oxidants and nutritional properties that soothe the skin. Applying Aloe to the affected areas will act on the epithelial skin layer providing a protective layer for retaining moisture. As such, the redness that you get from exposure to UV rays gets treated when the gel is applied.
- Aloe Vera lightens blemishes: The stubborn blemishes that your acne leaves behind can be treated with Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera contains anthra-quinone, which removes the dead skin cells naturally leading to the brightening of the skin. Aloe Vera mixed with a few drops of lemon juice, can do wonders in reduction of acne and acne scars.
Also Read | Surprising things that cause hair-thinning and balding
Extra tips: Apart from the many skin benefits of Aloe Vera, it is also great for your hair. Since it contains proteolytic enzyme, they can be used as an anti-dandruff treatment. It also works wonder for itchy scalp and can even be used to condition your hair.
First Published : 21 Sep 2018, 05:59:21 PM