Mushrooms, when eaten right can be one of the healthiest foods. But as healthy as mushrooms are, some can be life threatening and this mushroom found in northern California is the perfect example of a poisonous mushroom.
Known as the Dead Cap or Amanita phalloides, this fungus is so deadly that one single cap is enough to kill a person.
One resident of northern California who happened to be a surviving victim of this mushroom said that she had no idea how dangerous this ‘edible-looking’ mushroom was. She didn’t recognize the cup-shaped poisonous tissue that grew at the bottom of this mushroom.
Mistaking the egg-shaped mushroom for an edible mushroom, the person was said to have made a soup out of it only to push herself to a hospital.
Also Read | Eczema treatment: Home remedies to take care of this skin disorder
On consuming this mushroom, a person is said to feel completely normal for six to twelve hours. But after the safe time-limit, the toxins in its Death Cap will slowly start taking a toll on your vital organs. The mushroom quietly kills the liver cells and can even take a person’s life.
All Research till date have no specific explanation as to what makes the Dead Cap so lethal and what exactly is the reason behind its defence mechanism-its poison. Scientists from the University of Wisconsin are as of now conducting a research on Dead Cap to see their lifespan. Their research is to find out how long the lifespan of the Dead Cap is. In case, the lifespan of this poisonous mushroom happens to be short, they can uproot it from the ground preventing the spores to entrench to other parts leading to more Dead Cap growths.
Also Read | The Quiet Space: Be sure to smell the flowers
In 2004, Dead cap is said to have claimed two lives in Northern California. This deadly mushroom is also widely spread out across Europe.
So, in case you come across this seemingly harmless mushroom, do not be tempted by its edible guise and run!