Wheatgrass: Six reasons you should drink beverage made of wheat plant leaves everyday
Wheatgrass is a food/medicine derived from freshly sprouted first leaves of the common wheat plant. They are consumed either as food, drink, or dietary supplement. The use of this superfood has been prevalent for a long time now. They are used in various parts of the world for premature aging, diseases, skin problems and pain among many other health problems. Wheatgrass is also available in the powdered form.
Also Read | In China's Himalayas, a wine 'flying above the clouds'
These are some of the reasons you should drink wheatgrass everyday:
- It is very rich in chlorophyll: Wheatgrass juice contains up to 70 per cent chlorophyll, which is an important blood builder. One study showed that chlorophyll found in wheatgrass reduced the number of blood transfusions needed in people with thalassemia, a blood disorder.
- It is a natural healer: Wheatgrass juice is an effective, natural healer since it contains all the essential minerals such as vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, I, K. Wheatgrass also contains essential nutrients for building blocks of protein such as amino acids.
- It helps in weight loss: Drinking chlorophyll is known to work effectively on weight loss. One study showed that people who took a green plant membrane supplement, including chlorophyll, on a daily basis experienced greater weight loss than a group that didn’t consume them. The researchers also added that drinking the supplement reduced harmful cholesterol levels.
- It is gluten-free: Since wheatgrass are harvested before the grain forms, they are gluten-free.
- Wheatgrass is good for the skin: Wheatgrass juice has also been found to be an excellent skin cleanser and the nutrients can be absorbed through the skin. Pour the juice of the wheatgrass over the areas needed in a tub of warm water for 15 to 20 minutes then rinse off with cold water.
Wheatgrass juice is also known as a superior detoxification agent even more powerful than carrot juice and other fruits and vegetables. They also contain full spectrum of vitamins and minerals, including the 13 essential ones, combined with dozens of trace elements and enzymes.
First Published : 12 Nov 2018, 01:07:26 PM