Combat air pollution with these air-purifying plants
With records of severe air pollution escalating for the worse, air pollution in Delhi has become life-threatening. And with the announcement of the Supreme Court allowing ‘Safe’ firecrackers for Diwali, the situation of air pollution in Delhi is likely to to get worse.
So, how will you shield your lungs from the localised emissions of the festivities and the stubble burning of industries?
Also Read | Five food substitutes for lactose intolerance
Bringing in nature by keeping indoor plants can be one of the solutions to combat air pollution:
- Bamboo palm: Also known as Reed plant, the bamboo palm scores very high in its ability to remove formaldehyde from the air. This plant also effectively removes benzene—an ingredient used to make dyes, lubricants, rubbers, and detergents and trichloroethylene-industrial solvent making it one of a must-keep indoor plant.
- Dwarf date palm: Another indoor plant of the palm family, dwarf date palm is especially effective at ridding the air of xylene, a common solvent ingredient. Most well suited to controlled temperature environments in offices and homes, dwarf date plan is ornamental but life-saving at the same time.
- Boston fern : In one of the studies, it was concluded that Boston fern has the ability to remove formaldehyde from the air. Since formaldehyde appears in everything from tobacco smokes to gas stoves, plastic garbage bags, tissues, floor coverings and other adhesives the Boston fern is a smart addition to any household or office.
- Peace lily: This beautiful flowering, indoor plant has a high transpiration rate to both purify and humidify indoor air. It is also excellent for removing alcohols, acetone, trichloroethylene, benzene, and formaldehyde.
- Dracaena : This indoor plant is rated as one of the best plants for removing trichloroethylene-industrial solvent from the air. It is also one of the easiest houseplants to grow and can live for decades if properly maintained.
- Spider plant: A name given because of its easy out shooting of baby spider plants, spider plants removes pollutants like formaldehyde and xylene. Growing easily in bright, indirect sunlight, spider plant is a great choice for beginners with indoor plants.
Other indoor plants such as money plant, snake plant is also an efficient air purifier as per some research. The plant efficiently absorbed benzene, formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene from indoor air. It also has a higher efficiency of absorbing carbon dioxide (2) and it is one of the few plants that release oxygen during the night.
Also Read | Holidaying? Five packing tips that will save space in your luggage
Now that you have indoor plants to help purify the air, it is also on you part to combat the consequences of air pollution. Use less energy at home, take combine rides or public transport to reduce air pollution and also ignore exercising outdoors when the pollution levels are high.
First Published : 29 Oct 2018, 04:42:46 PM