Health benefits of cherries
In the fruit chart, cherries rank as one of the most health protective food. So, not only are they too pretty to be eaten, they also come in many colours with several health benefits. The colours of cherries range from yellow to black to red. They can be eaten as a healthy snack or in making tarts, pies or juices. Cherries are known to have high antioxidant properties. They are also a good source of dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals, including potassium, calcium, vitamin A and folic acid.
Below are the five health benefits of eating cherries:
- Cherries are a rich source of antioxidants: Antioxidants have long been known to be a good compound for health. And, cherries are one such fruit that is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. As such, cherries help the body in slowing the aging process and ward of deadly diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, etc.
- Cherries help you get a good sleep: Among the many types of cherries, tart cherries in particular are a few food sources that has melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that helps control your sleep-wake cycles. As such, eating tart cherries will help improve your sleep and help you get a good night’s rest.
- Cherries help relief arthritis pain: Osteoarthritis affects both the old and young alike. Several studies have shown that eating cherry and drinking its juices may help lessen joint pain.
- Cherries help fight cholesterol: Studies have shown that drinking tart cherry juice help lower total cholesterol such as LDL. It hence reduces the risk of heart disease and heart attack risk.
- Cherries are good for your hair: Since cherries has vitamins such as vitamin A, B, C, E, it helps in strengthening hair follicles and prevent breakage from the roots. It also nourishes the hair and prevents split ends and hair fall by stimulating the growth of new hair follicles. Cherries also help improve blood circulation in the body, including the scalp, which results in regeneration of the existing cells and triggers hair growth.
Also Read | Moringa is the new superfood | Here’s why
First Published : 01 Sep 2018, 06:52:12 PM