COVID-19 has caused a global panic, and self-quarantine is the most effective way to deal with it. (Photo Credit: File Photo)
The outbreak of COVID-19 has caused a global panic, and self-quarantine is the most effective way to contain the spread of the coronavirus. People who have travelled recently may not necessarily develop symptoms of flu for as long as two weeks but they are carriers nevertheless. This is why travellers should avoid meeting other people in this two-week window. Individuals or families should stay inside their home and avoid any physical contact with those outside.
Self-quarantine also means that people should avoid going to work, malls, pubs or any other crowded places. A period of 14 days has been suggested as the length of quarantine by health experts as symptoms for COVID-19 show up after an average of five days.
So how can one quarantine themselves?
1. Stay home: Don't leave your house unless absolutely necessary. If you need to go out, wear a mask and don't share towels. Don;t use public transport as well.
2. Monitor your temperature: Check your temperature with a thermometer at least twice a day. Watch for symptoms like fever, dry cough, fatigue, sore throat, headache or difficulty in breathing.
3. Wash and clean surfaces: Wash and clean surfaces like doorknobs, counters, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, laptops, tablets and bedside tables to avoid spreading the virus.
4. Use hand sanitizers: Use tissues and hand sanitizers that have at least 60% alcohol. You can also use soap and water to wash your hands.
5. Always cover your mouth while sneezing and coughing. Also, wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use alcohol-based sanitisers, with at least 60 per cent alcohol content.
6. Don't share household items: During self-quarantine, do not share household items like towels, utensils, and drinking glasses with someone else.
7. Stay in a proper ventilated room. Use an air conditioner or open windows.
8. Clean clothes: Wear clothes that have been washed properly.
9. Stock up on food for the quarantine time period. Choose meals that require less work and are stress free.
10. If your health worsens during self-quarantine period, seek medical help immediately.