Dry Eye Syndrome: Easy and efficient ways to improve eye health
Dry Eye Syndrome: Easy and efficient ways to improve eye health (Photo: Twitter)
Dry eyes syndrome is a common chronic progressive condition usually caused when your tears aren't able to provide adequate lubrication for your eyes. There are so many factors that contribute to dry eyes, it can be because of certain drugs, aging process like menopause or even certain diseases like Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis etc.
In all, dry eyes condition stings and burns the eyes, affecting daily activities. However, there are various treatments for dry eyes. These treatments include lifestyle changes, eye-drops or even home remedies.
Also Read | Indian tourists among world’s highest spenders abroad
Here are five dry eye treatments you can practise:
- Artificial tears: In minor dry eye cases caused by blue lights, reading or work, artificial tears can be the best lubricating dry eye treatment. They often provide quick relief with little or no blurring of your vision when you apply them.
- Steroid eye drops: Artificial tears bring about relief with minor dry eye issues but when it comes to more serious issue such as inflammation, steroid eye drops are often recommended to treat the underlying inflammation associated with dry eyes. It is also important to discuss your medical history with your eye doctor before starting steroid eye drops. Steroid eye drops can increase the risk of developing high eye pressure or even cataracts when used for a long period of time.
- Punctual plugs: This medical device inserted into one of the small openings (puncta) of tear drainage ducts that are located in the inner corner of the upper and lower eyelids is also sometimes used in dry eye treatment. The plug helps the tears to remain on the surface of the eye longer, preventing dryness.
- Warm compresses: A more comfortable way to help open clogged meibomian glands to treat dry eyes is to apply warm compresses to the closed eyelids. It can help soften the hardened meibum.
- Nutritional supplements: Dry eyes can also happen when the body lacks the essential nutritional supplements to produce tears. Dietary supplements such as salmon, sardines and nuts that contain omega 3 fatty acids can decrease dry eye symptoms.
Also Read | Cod liver oil is the ultimate dietary supplement, find out why
Apart from the supplements, drinking more water also helps because mild dehydration often worsens dry eye problems. Simply drinking more water will reduce the symptoms of dry eyes, according to experts.
First Published : 16 Nov 2018, 02:19:26 PM