Six uses of essential oils that will blow your mind
Essential oils have been in medicinal use since times immemorial. Essential oils are extracted from plants and are often used as an aromatherapy to induce body relaxation, fight cold and flu symptoms, reduce cellulite, wrinkles among many others. Essential oils are just as relevant today just as did thousands of years ago.
Also Read | Eat these 5 foods to ease your PMS symptoms
Apart from its many health benefits, did you know that essential oils can be used for several unexpected purposes:
- Help fight pet odour: The fury friends in the house can sometimes get a little too ‘odoury’. And giving them a bath isn’t an easy thing to do given their dynamic spirit. Mix geranium, lavender or lemon oil to apple cider vinegar to make a ‘furry-deodorant’. Shake well before you apply these on them and you will realise an alleviation in their odour.
- Freshen carpets: Call it a gut feeling but sometimes vacuuming the carpet doesn’t even settle the thought of the carpet being clean enough. You can refresh your beautiful carpets with essential oils such as lavender, Lemon, or peppermint oil added to baking soda. Sprinkle the mixture all over the carpet and let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then vacuum up.
- Insect repellent: Rodents, lizards and spiders, the thought of them crawling onto our room can be skin-crawling. You can be repelled away from the uninvited guests by spraying peppermint oil mixed in water around your windows and doors. Or you can soak a cotton ball with peppermint oil and stuff into corners of windows where they may likely enter.
- Say goodbye to caffeine: Are you chucking up cups and cups of coffee because of the deadline assignment, work or trying to stay awake while driving? You can now stay alert with a sniff! Stay alert while driving or studying by inhaling the scent of lavender, frankincense, lemon, peppermint, lemongrass, or basil oils.
- For a good night's sleep: What is better than waking up fresh because you’ve had a good night’s rest? With these essential oil tips, you can say goodbye to the restless twists and turns. Simply sprinkle drops of chamomile and lavender oils onto your pillow. Or you can also add several drops of both oils to a cotton ball and keep it near your head before hitting the sack.
- Relieve menstrual cramps: Girls take note: essential oils to the rescue. Relieve your menstrual cramps by mixing clary sage, basil, or rosemary oil and massaging into the abdomen. Cover it with a warm comforter for about 15 minutes and repeat as required.
Also Read | Italy is becoming Bollywood’s favorite destination
First Published : 24 Sep 2018, 12:48:40 PM