How fenugreek helps control diabetes: Six facts
Fenugreek, grown mostly as a semiarid crop, is an aromatic plant used both for culinary and medicinal purposes. As an ingredient for a dish, the leaves and seeds of fenugreek are used in many cuisines of South and Central Asia. As a medical plant, fenugreek is used in every parts of the world. In fact, according to ancient Indian medicinal practice and Chinese traditional beliefs, drinking the water of soaked fenugreek seeds and intake of its leaves are said to reduce sugar level in the body and treat diabetes illness.
Here are six facts on how intake of fenugreek help to control diabetes
- Fenugreek seeds are known to have high soluble fibre which helps people with high sugar. Ingesting fenugreek seeds slows down digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, this can be effective in treating people with diabetes.
- Recent clinical trials have shown that fenugreek seeds can improve metabolic symptoms associated with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. They suggested that since fenugreek lowers blood glucose levels and improve glucose intolerance for diabetic people.
- People suffering from diabetics tend to have low insulin. Another study suggested that adding fenugreek seed powder to the daily diet of patients with insulin-dependent (type 1) diabetes significantly reduced their fasting blood glucose levels. It also improved glucose tolerance and also lowered total cholesterol, LDL or bad cholesterol significantly.
- In another study conducted on people with diabetics, ingesting fenugreek seeds for several weeks showed noticeable improvements in their plasma glucose levels.
- Apart from control blood sugar levels in diabetic people by slowing down the sugar absorption rate in the blood, fenugreek seeds are also a great source of saponins which help reduces cholesterol.
- Its rich fibre also increases the supply of energy and modulates carbohydrate metabolism helping in weight loss.
Also Read | Five reasons to replace store-bought juices with homemade fresh juices
Replace your morning tea with fresh fenugreek leaves and see the change in your sugar level. Or you can simply add fenugreek seeds in a low-fat plain yogurt and eat them and see a drastic change in your overall health.
First Published : 13 Sep 2018, 01:14:02 PM