The mysterious underground kingdom of mushrooms and its integration into various food and drinks product has gained a lot of attraction. Shroom has been accepted as a new wellness vogue!
Mushrooms are categorised as low calorie, low fat and food packed with B vitamins. It also has modest amount of macro vitamins like Zinc, Copper and Potassium.Apart from its nutritive quality, the extensive research studies done on Mushroom varietals proved shroom’s healing effect and its use for the treatments of anxiety, depression and, also in addiction.The species of Mushrooms- reishi, cordyceps, and chaga are most picked variety. These are being used to make powders, lattes, cocoas, chocolate and tea. Food developers are planning to infuse it in all kind of food stuffs one can imagine.
What led Mushroom as a global pick?
1.Mushrooms apart from just a vegetable, have become the choice of present pharmaceuticals. It has been used to make various anticancer drugs.
2. One of its species, Psilocybin mushrooms considered as magic health mushrooms. It has a long history of use for spiritual and religious rituals as well.
3. Shrooms are also used widely to treat ailments and disorders including cluster headaches, obsessive compulsive disorders, anxiety, depression, and addiction.
4. It has already gained attention for being used as an Antioxidant. Tremella mushrooms are known for their antioxidant and deep hydrating benefits.
5. The presence of anti-ageing agent ergothioneine and glutathione in Mushroom protects us against cancer, coronary heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Researchers speculate that countries where mushrooms are consumed largely like Italy and France, have much lower rates of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s than others countries.
Why you should pick shrooms for your children?
1. Vitamin Booster Active Health Mushrooms are available in the market with a 100% daily dose of Vitamin D and vitamin B5. This makes mushroom perfect pick for the children of growing age.
2. Vegan food substituteFor strict vegans, mushroom protein supplement is now available in the market. This can boost your daily dose of protein in the family.
3. As a nootropic supplementMushroom drinks are selling like a hot cake now. This is a caffeinated alternative for the breakfast skipper. This is packed with vitamin and, brain-enhancing nootropic supplement.
4. Stress buster food Mushrooms variety- reishi and chaga are known to have stress fighting agents. Such shrooms are being infused and brewed into various food and drinks.
5. Skin food Chaga mushroom is a natural antioxidant and anti-irritant. Presence of zinc and melanin in it helps repair skin cells and eliminates free radicals that cause wrinkles. Another variety cordyceps shrooms is known for creating cellular energy necessary for the skin’s protective barrier.
Future of umbrella food
More experimentation for magical Mushroom wellness is underway. Designers and developers are thinking Mushroom more than just an eatable.Countries are making eco-friendly clothing out of this magical fungus and also working on how mushrooms could create the light, biodegradable homes of our future.
(The writer of the article is Consultant Corporate Nutritionist, RD, CDE)