Pitru Paksha: From Griha Pravesh To New Business- List Of Don'ts For Shradh Period
Pitru Paksha Is A Period Of 16 Days That Is Dedicated To Gratify Souls And Pay Homage To Forefathers.
- Pitru Paksha is a period of 16 days that is dedicated to gratify souls
- This 16-day duration is not considered good for starting something new
- Reading Hindu sculptures is considered pious in this period
Pitru Paksha is a period of 16 days that is dedicated to gratify souls and pay homage to forefathers. It falls between Bhadrapada Poornima of Ashwin month to Amavasya of Ashwin month. Shradh rituals are performed in this period under the guidance of Vedic experts. This year, it starts from 13th September and will conclude on September 28 with the Amavasya also known as Sarvapitri Amavasya or Mahalaya Amavasya.
Reading Hindu sculptures such as Garuda Purana, Agni Purana is considered pious in this period. However, there are certain thnigs which should not be done during this time.
- This 16-day duration is not considered good for starting something new. A new beginning is not advisable in Pitru Paksha.
- Pleasurable activities should not be done in this period and tribute should be paid with utmost sincerity and respect.
- As per Astroogi.com, this phase is not considered good for marriage or the celebration of the birth of a new born baby. A new home should not be purchased as well as a new business should not be embarked upon during this time.
- One should not consume non-vegetarian food during this time.
- Negative thoughts should not be allowed to prevail in mind as one’s wish only gets fulfilled if the prayers are made with a pious heart.
Who should do shradh?
Shradh is generally done by one's son, but if there are no sons, then grandson, great grandson or widowed wife can also perform it. At the same time, the wife can perform Shradh if her husband is not present at the same place. However, on Sarvapitri amavasya or matamaha, the daughter's son can offer Shraddha for the maternal side of his family if a male heir is absent in his mother's family.
First Published : 13 Sep 2019, 11:13:49 AM