News Nation Logo

Shocking! Spoons, knife and screwdrivers found inside Himachal man's stomach, removed

In A Similar Incident In 2017, Doctors In Calcutta Medical College And Hospital Had Taken Out Some 600 Iron Nails From The Stomach Of A Mentally Ill Patient.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Shashikant Sharma | Updated on: 25 May 2019, 11:03:20 AM
The 35-year-old man lying on the hospital bed after the surgery. (ANI Photo)

New Delhi:

Spoons, screwdrivers, toothbrushes and a kitchen knife – these items were found inside the stomach of a 35-year-old man in Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi. This wasn’t the first such incident but doctors in Mandi’s Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Government Medical College were shocked when they scanned the patient who was taken in after falling ill.

Without wasting much time, they decided to go for a surgery to remove the metallic items from the man’s stomach. They operated him and extracted 8 spoons, 2 screwdrivers, 2 toothbrushes and a kitchen knife from his stomach. The man is stable now. But doctors say he may be suffering from some mental illness as normal people eat food and not metals.

"After investigation it was found that some metallic objects were inside his stomach. Our team of surgeon immediately operated him. He is stable now. The patient is affected with psychiatric illness as a normal person can't eat spoon or knife," Dr Nikhil, a member of the team who operated the man was quoted as saying by ANI news agency.

In a similar incident in 2017, doctors in Calcutta Medical College and Hospital had taken out some 600 iron nails from the stomach of a mentally ill patient.

The family members of the patient had admitted him to the hospital after he complained of severe abdominal pain. When doctors conducted a USG test on him, they found out that a lot of nails were piled in his stomach.

The man was in the habit of swallowing strange things but it was equally shocking for the family as they didn’t image that there would be so many iron nails in his stomach. He was indeed luck to survive as the nails did not pierce or injure his stomach in any way in spite of being inside for days.

For all the Latest Offbeat News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 25 May 2019, 11:03:20 AM