News Nation Logo

Pakistan’s head coach Waqar Younis focussing on Asia Cup, World T20

Pakistan’s Head Coach Waqar Younis Today Said He Was Focussing On Preparations For The Asia Cup And World T20 Events And Not Thinking About An Extension Of His Coaching Contract That Expires In May.

PTI | Updated on: 22 Feb 2016, 10:20:27 PM

Islamabad:

Pakistan’s head coach Waqar Younis today said he was focussing on preparations for the Asia Cup and World T20 events and not thinking about an extension of his coaching contract that expires in May.

“I have still three to four months of my contract left and right now I haven’t given a thought to the future,” he told reporters here.

Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Shahryar Khan has said that the board had decided to extend the contract of Waqar for the tour to England which lasts from July to September.

“Coaching of any team is always a tough job. It doesn’t matter whether you do well or disappoint. It is a tough job and I knew about this when I accepted this challenge. I enjoy taking up tough challenges,” Waqar said.

The former Pakistan captain said at present, he was only focusing on preparations for the Asia Cup and World T20 events and not thinking about his contract.

He said when the time came, he will think about it.

Waqar was also candid about Pakistan’s chances in the two

forthcoming events, pointing out that Pakistan will have to work very hard to do well.

Reminded that the Pakistani selectors can make changes in the World Cup squad until March 8, Waqar said they could be changes.

“Yes, changes could be there but right now we have to see how the team performs in the Asia Cup. The selectors have done their job and we will have to see how the new players perform,” he said.

Asked about the decision by selectors to drop opener Ahmed Shehzad for the two events, Waqar said Shehzad had been struggling for runs and consistency for a while.

“It is not a question of likes or dislikes or egos. He has not been consistent and he now has to go back to domestic cricket and get back into form. He is a talented player and can definitely make a comeback to the Pakistan team,” he added.

The Pakistan coach who has, for some reason, not gone to Dubai to watch the Pakistan Super League (PSL) matches said the league should help bridge the gap between international and domestic cricket.

“I think the PSL is a good platform for our young players to get exposure and get ready for international cricket,” he said.

For all the Latest Sports News News, Asia Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 18 Feb 2016, 12:31:00 PM

Videos