Lalremsiami emerged as the first sportsperson from Mizoram to have won a medal in the Asian Games. She was part of the Indian women’s hockey team that won the silver medal at the Asian Games 2018 in Jakarta Palembang, Indonesia.
Popularly called Siami, she now is the brightest prospect of Indian hockey. Lalremsiami was awarded ‘the Under 21 rising star award’ at the 2018 Asian Champions Trophy, where she played a total of 31 minutes on the field across five matches, scoring two goals and helped India win the silver medal. She entertained the Indian hockey fans with her path-breaking performances in the Asian Games.
Here are some lesser known facts about Lalremsiami:
1. Lalremsiami hails from Kolasib town in northern Mizoram. She is one among the 10 children of her parents.
2. She had represented her school at the inter-school sporting event at the age of 10, and was adjudged as the best hockey player.
3. Lalremsiami was just 11 years old when selected to join the State Government-run hockey academy in Thenzawl.
4. The star player joined the National Hockey Academy in New Delhi in 2016.
ALSO READ | Asian Games: Know all medal winners as India finish with 69 medals
5. Lalremsiami played a vital role in India’s success in last year’s Asia Cup when she scored against Japan and Singapore. Before making it to the senior level, Lalremsiami shone at the 4th U-18 Asia Cup.