Asian Games 2018: Who is Bajrang Punia? 5 facts about India's first gold medallist
India got its first success of Gold medal in the Asian Games 2018 as freestyle wrestler Bajrang Punia defeated Daichi Takatani on Day 1. Punia, who looked at home while taking on the mat was confident throughout his way to the final. There were a lot of hopes from two wrestlers specifically, one being the two-time Olympic medallist and the other being Bajrang Punia.
Asian Games 2018, Day 2: India's complete Schedule, Timings
While Sushil Kumar got eliminated in the qualifying round in what is being termed as the biggest shocker till now in the Asian Games 2018, Punia did not disappoint as he dominated his way to the yellow metal.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Bajrang Punia:
- Bajrang Punia has won the bronze in the 2013 World Championship, silvers in 2014 Commonwealth and Asian Games and golds in the Commonwealth 2016 and 2017 editions.
- Bajrang Punia was born in Khudan village in the state of Haryana and started his wrestling career at the age of seven after getting motivated by his father. His family shifted to Sonepat so that Punia could attend the regional center of Sports Authority of India.
- The 24-year-old Haryana wrestler works as a Travelling Ticket Examiner (TTE) with Indian Railway. However, his family has demanded for the post of Deputy Superintendent of police with the Haryana police.
- Punia has been training hard under the supervision of four-time Olympian and Indian wrestling legend Yogeshwar Dutt since his early days and it was Dutt who asked Punia to move to the 65kg category from 61kg as it was not an Olympic category.
- Punia, alongside Sushil Kumar, was given a green ticket to the Asian Games 2018 without a trial as the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) thought the duo were far more superior than the other domestic competitors in their respective categories.
First Published : 20 Aug 2018, 07:57:09 AM