News Nation Logo

Coronavirus Outbreak | Karnataka Government Writes To Centre, Seeks Suspension Of IPL 2020: Report

On March 9, A Bengaluru Resident Was Tested Positive For Coronavirus According To The Karnataka Medical Education Minister K Sudhakar.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Victor Dasgupta | Updated on: 10 Mar 2020, 10:40:18 PM
Virat Main 2

Karnataka Government Writes To Centre, Seeks Suspension Of IPL 2020: Report (Photo Credit: File Image)

New Delhi:

The Karnataka Government has written an official letter to the central government asking them to postpone or suspend this year's IPL amid coronavirus threat, according to a local news outlet Digvijay 24/7. The spread of COVID-19 has already led to cancellation of many sporting events. According to the reports, the COVID-19 could have a massive impact on the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).

On March 9, a Bengaluru resident was tested positive for coronavirus according to the Karnataka Medical Education Minister K Sudhakar. On Tuesday, three new cases of coronavirus were confirmed in Karnataka on Tuesday taking the total number of infected people to four, Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa said and asked people not to panic.

Also Read | ICC Women's World T20 World Cup Final: Australia Outplayed Us, Says BCCI president Sourav Ganguly

A software engineer who returned here from the US on March 1 tested positive for the coronavirus on Monday, becoming the first COVID-19 patient in Karnataka. According to health department officials, his wife and daughter too tested positive for the virus on Tuesday. Another person, who had travelled from America via London and arrived here on March 8, also tested positive, they said.

Surveillance at airports for those with symptoms has been stepped up, Yediyurappa, who chaired a high-level meeting with officials here, told reporters. “So far four people have been confirmed for COVID-19.  The patients as well as their family members have been quarantined."

Also Read | Shafali Verma Cries Inconsolably After India's Loss To Australia In ICC Women's World T20 Final

A Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI) source confirmed on Monday (March 9) that the IPL will not be affected by the recent outbreak of coronavirus. The source also claimed all precautionary measures will be conducted by the board during the 2020 edition of the IPL.

"We are monitoring the situation and will take all the precautions. We will not leave any stone unturned." a BCCI source was quoted as saying by ANI. "Everything is in our mind. It is still time for IPL. Do not get panic. As of now, no decision has been taken," the source added.

For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 10 Mar 2020, 10:30:15 PM