Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Monday spelled out ‘nine pillars’ for India. These 9 pillars will be focus areas for the government.
"The agenda for next year is to undertake transformative measures based on 9 pillars for India," the Finance Minister said in his Budget speech.
The nine pillars listed by Mr Jaitley are:
1. Agriculture and farmer welfare
2. Rural sector
3. Social sector
4. Education skills and job creation
5. Infrastructure investment
6. Financial sector reforms
7. Governance reforms and ease of doing business
8. Fiscal discipline
9. Tax reforms to reduce compliance burden
"In the agriculture sector, our aim is to double the income of farmers by 2022," he said as he announced a total allocation of 35,984 crore.
"We need to think beyond food security to income security."