Late Princess Diana's salacious TV documentary will be aired by a British broadcaster on Sunday despite her family and friends' disapproval. 'Diana: In Her Own Words' includes clips of Diana's private life wherein she can be seen discussing her sex life. Besides that, her unhappy married life with Prince Charles has also been shown in the clips.
Channel 4, who is the broadcaster of Diana's documentary defended its stand saying the recordings offered unique insights into her life. Her death anniversary is also approaching later this month.
The headlines with which the Daily Mail tabloid went is "Charles and Diana 'didn't have sex for seven years': How Prince transformed from being 'all over his wife like a bad rash' before their love life 'fizzled out entirely' after Harry was born."
However, the airing of the private clips of Princess Diana has been termed as intrusive by critics. Airing the clips was exploitive, said 'On Duty with the Queen' author Dickie Arbiter. "We don't need to know all these things. He was all over me like a rash? Keep private things private," Arbiter said while speaking to The Washington Post.
The princess would support the airing of the tapes, said Ken Wharfe, one of Diana's former body guards. "She would love it," Wharfe told the Associated Press.
ALSO READ: Royals commission Princess Diana statue 20 years after her death
"For the first time, she would say, 'People are actually listening to and hearing what I am saying.'" Wharfe added. He served as Princess' body guard from 1986 to 1993.
The Princess died in a car accident that took place in Paris on August 31, 1997. As far as the video clips are concerned, they were taped in 1992 and 1993 during sessions at Kensington Palace. The sessions were held with voice coach Peter Settelen.
The broadcaster said that the clips, which they are going to air are never-before-seen footage. However, excerpts of the clips were previously shown in an NBC documentary in 2004.
Fearing the broadcast could hurt Princess' sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, her brother Earl Spencer requested Channel 4 not to air the documentary.
While speaking to the Guardian, a longtime confidante of Princess, Rosa Monckton said "This doesn't belong in the public domain."
"We carefully considered all the material used in the documentary and, though the recordings were made in private, the subjects covered are a matter of public record and provide a unique insight into the preparations Diana undertook to gain a public voice and tell her own personal story. This unique portrait of Diana gives her a voice and places it front and centre at a time when the nation will be reflecting on her life and death," Channel 4 issued a statement.