Experts say that it would be Queen Elizabeth’s fifth such televised address during her 68-years on throne. (Photo Credit: Twitter/@royalfamily)
In what can be termed rare, Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II will make a special address to the nation and the Commonwealth in a televised broadcast on Sunday. Without giving much details about the extremely rare address, the Buckingham Palace issued a statement which reads, “Her Majesty The Queen has recorded a special broadcast to the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth in relation to the coronavirus outbreak.” The statement added that the address was recorded at Windsor Castle where the Queen is staying with her husband Prince Philip.
On Sunday 5th April at 8pm (BST)— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) April 3, 2020
Her Majesty The Queen will address the UK and the Commonwealth in a televised broadcast.
As well as on television and radio, The Queen’s address will be shown on The @RoyalFamily’s social media channels. pic.twitter.com/EADh7WNU7b
Earlier, the 93-year-old monarch had said that the royal family of Britain will play its part in the rising to the challenge in the wake of coronavirus outbreak.
Experts say that it would be Queen Elizabeth’s fifth such televised address during her 68-years on throne. Apart from her Christmas messages, The Queen has only a few broadcast and some of them are- her address during the 1991 Gulf War and after the death of Princess Diana in 1997, TIME reports.
Meanwhile, Britain has been put in virtual lockdown as pubs, restaurants and nearly all shops are closed while social gathering has been banned to curb the outbreak of coronavirus. The Britons have been ordered by the government to stay inside houses and avoid any unnecessary movement.
Earlier, in a video message, prime minister Boris Johnson said that he will continue to remain in isolation as he still has mild symptoms of the coronavirus. The British PM was diagnosed with coronavirus seven days back and since then he has kept himself in quarantine. Moreover, along with PM Johnson, British health minister, Matt Hancock was also tested positive for COVID-19. Hancock too has been isolating himself.
According to latest updates, the number of coronavirus cases in United Kingdom has crossed the 33,000 mark with more than 2900 deaths reported so far.
(With Agency inputs)