News Nation Logo

Iran Fires 22 Missiles At Two US Military Bases In Iraq

Meanwhile, Iranian State Television On Wednesday Said, 80 American Terrorists Were Killed In Ballistic Missiles Targeting At Least Two Bases Where US Military And Coalition Forces' Are Stationed In Iraq, Adding That None Of The Missiles Were Intercepted.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Raghwendra Shukla | Updated on: 08 Jan 2020, 01:58:49 PM
Iranian state media also claimed US helicopters and military equipment were 'severely damaged' in the attack.

Iranian state media also claimed US helicopters and military equipment were 'severely damaged' in the attack. (Photo Credit: File)

Baghdad:

A total of 22 missiles struck two bases housing US troops, the Iraqi military said on Wednesday after the overnight attack. “Between 1:45 am and 2:15 am (2245 GMT and 2315 GMT) Iraq was hit by 22 missiles, 17 on the Ain al-Asad air base and...five on the city of Arbil,” the Iraqi military command said in a statement. However, there were no Iraqi casualties, the statement said adding the attack sites are being used by the US-led international coalition.

“There were no victims among the Iraqi forces,” the military said, referring to the attack carried out by Iran in retaliation for the US killing of a top Iranian general.

Meanwhile, Iranian state television on Wednesday said, 80 "American terrorists" were killed in ballistic missiles targeting at least two bases where US military and coalition forces' are stationed in Iraq, adding that none of the missiles were intercepted.

Revolutionary Guards sources also said, Iran had 100 other targets in the region in its sights if Washington took any retaliatory measures. On Tuesday, Iran's parliament passed a bill designating all US forces "terrorists" over the killing of a top Iranian military commander in a US strike last week.

The state media also claimed US helicopters and military equipment were "severely damaged" in the attack.

Earlier, Iran defended the attack saying all the measures were taken in self-defence. Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said, “Iran took and concluded proportionate measures in self-defence under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.” The attack on US military bases came after the killing of the commander of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards, General Qasem Soleimani, in a US drone strike, which was ordered by President Donald Trump, on Friday.

Qasem Soleimani, the popular head of the Revolutionary Guards' foreign operations arm, was killed in a US drone strike outside Baghdad airport on Friday, ratcheting up tensions between the arch-foes.

Iran’s attack came hours after leader of Iran's Revolutionary Guard threatened on Tuesday to "set ablaze" places supported by the United States. Hossein Salami made the pledge before a crowd of thousands gathered in a central square in Kerman, the hometown of the slain Gen Qassem Soleimani.

Reacting to the attack, US President Donald Trump had tweeted: “All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning (sic).”

For all the Latest World News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 08 Jan 2020, 01:54:48 PM