Amid heightened tensions between Iran and the West, on Friday Iran test-launched a medium-range ballistic missile inside its borders, US officials said. This is seen in violation of Trump administration demanding Tehran to curtail the weapon program and also demonstrates its intent to further push back against US sanctions.
The US officials who confirmed the missile launch spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive information.
The White House said in a brief statement that it was aware of reports of a projectile launched in Iran, but White House officials declined to comment further.
Earlier, Donal Trump had imposed "hard-hitting" sanctions on Iran. Trump's move to impose fresh set of sanctions on Iran comes days after Tehran said it shot down an American drone in the region on Thursday. However, Trump denies the drone, valued at more than USD 100 million, violated Iranian airspace, saying he backed away from planned strikes after learning that 150 people would be killed in the military action.
Tensions have been escalating between the United States and Iran since Trump last year withdrew the US from a global nuclear deal with Iran and re-imposed economic sanctions on Iran.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said had also said, Tehran is ready to talk to the United States if sanctions imposed are lifted. "We have always believed in talks ... if they lift sanctions, end the imposed economic pressure and return to the deal, we are ready to hold talks with America today, right now and anywhere," Rouhani said.
Reacting to this, Pompeo said, “President Trump will obviously make the final decision. But this is a path that the previous administration had gone down and it led to the (Iran nuclear deal) which this administration, President Trump and I both believe was a disaster.”