Sixteen people were killed and dozens injured in a blast at Quetta's Hazarganji sabzi mandi on Friday morning, authorities said. DIG Quetta Abdul Razaq Cheema confirmed that 16 people, including an Frontier Corps official, were killed in the blast. As many as 30 others were injured and were undergoing treatment, he added as reported by Geo TV. Eight of the dead belonged to the Hazara community, DIG Cheema said. The blast, which ripped through the Hazarganji sabzi mandi around 7:35 am, was caused by an improvised explosive device (IED) that had been hidden in the market, he informed. Quetta is the provincial capital of Balochistan. Four Frontier Corps personnel were also among the injured.
Some of the buildings in the vicinity were also damaged in the blast. The injured were rushed to the Bolan Medical College.
This is a breaking news story. More details will be added soon. Please refresh the page for the updated version.