Brazil said it will bolster security for next month's Olympics in Rio following the truck attack in the French city of Nice.
Brazil's interim president Michel Temer held an emergency meeting with his intelligence chief and members of his cabinet late last night to weigh the next steps after the Nice attack, which killed at least 84 people.
As he left the meeting, intelligence chief Sergio Etchegoyen said new security measures would include extra checkpoints, barricades and traffic restrictions. Brazil had already planned to deploy 85,000 police and soldiers to provide security for the Olympics – running August 5-21 -- double the number used in the 2012 London Games.
Etchegoyen said fears over security at the Rio Games had "gone up a notch" after the attack in Nice, where a Tunisian-born man drove a 19-tonne white truck into a huge crowd gathered to watch the annual Bastille Day fireworks display on Thursday, leaving a gruesome trail of bodies in his wake.