At least 50 people were killed on Wednesday in clashes between jihadists and rebels in northern Syria. Clashes flared Tuesday between Al-Qaeda-linked coalition Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and an alliance of rebel groups in western Aleppo province. On Wednesday the fighting spread to the neighbouring province of Idlib, the country's last opposition bastion, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. Al-Qaeda-linked coalition Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) had on Monday accused rebel group Nureddine al-Zinki of killing five of its fighters, and launched an offensive against rebel positions close to the country's last opposition bastion in the north western province of Idlib. Rami Abdel Rahman, who heads the Britain-based Observatory, said 12 HTS fighters and five from the Zinki group had been killed, along with two civilians. A further 35 people were wounded, he said.
ALSO READ | Donald Trump mocks PM Modi for library in Afghanistan
Nureddine al-Zinki is a major player in the National Liberation Front (NLF), a Turkish-backed rebel alliance. Abdel Rahman said Wednesday that other NLF factions had now joined the fighting, while the jihadists had advanced into seven areas. Those killed include 24 HTS jihadists and 19 Nureddine al-Zinki fighters, the war monitor said.
Earlier, Last week, Trump surprised the world and his country as well when he suddenly announced that the US is pulling out its troops from Syria. "In Syria, Erdogan said he wants to knock out ISIS, whatever's left, the remnants of ISIS. And Saudi Arabia just came out and said they are going to pay for some economic development. Which is great, that means we don't have to pay. We are spread out all over the world. We are in countries most people haven't even heard about. Frankly, it's ridiculous," Trump added.
Trump's sudden decision sparked turmoil in his administration, prompting the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, as well as of Brett McGurk, the special envoy to the anti-IS coalition.
Brett McGurk, the US envoy to the global coalition fighting the Islamic State group, resigned in protest over President Donald Trump's abrupt decision to withdraw US troops from Syria, a US official said, joining Defence Secretary Jim Mattis in an administration exodus of experienced national security figures.
ALSO READ | Looking forward to meet new Pakistan leadership, says Donald Trump
McGurk had said it would be "reckless" to consider IS defeated and therefore would be unwise to bring American forces home. McGurk decided to speed up his original plan to leave his post in mid-February. Appointed to the post by President Barack Obama in 2015 and retained by Trump, McGurk said in his resignation letter that the militants were on the run, but not yet defeated, and that the premature pullout of American forces from Syria would create the conditions that gave rise to IS.