At Islamic nations meet, Sushma Swaraj targets Pakistan over terrorism: Top quotes
Sushma Swaraj Raised The Issue Of Terrorism And How It Is Putting The World At Great Peril During Her Historic Address At Organisation Of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) In Abu Dhabi.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Friday addressed Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Abu Dhabi even as Pakistan - one of the founding members of the group skipped the conclave over India's presence. During her historic address, Swaraj raised the issue of terrorism and radicalisation of Muslims. She said that the fight against terrorism is not a confrontation against any religion as every religion stands for peace. India's participation at the Islamic nations meet came amid tensions with Pakistan, which is a founding member of the OIC. Pakistan has even objected the invitation sent to India but the OIC members paid no heed to its protest following which it decided to skip the event.
Below are the top quotes of Sushma Swaraj's landmark OIC address
- I carry the greetings of my PM Narendra Modi & 1.3 billion Indians, including more than 185 million Muslim brothers and sisters. Our Muslim brothers and sisters are the microcosm of the diversity of India.
- They practice their respective beliefs and live in harmony with each other and with their non-Muslim brothers. It's this appreciation of diversity and coexistence that has ensured that very few Muslims in India have fallen prey to poisonous propaganda of radicalistic and extremist ideologies.
- I'm honoured to join colleagues from nations that represent a great religion and ancient civilisations. I stand here as a representative of land that has been mountain of knowledge, beacon of peace, source of faith & traditions, home to many religions and one of the major economies.
- OIC members constitute 1/4th of the United Nations and almost a quarter of humanity. India shares much with you, many of us have shared dark days of colonialism.
- Terrorism in each case is driven by distortion of religion. Fight against terror is not a confrontation against any religion. Just as Islam means peace, none of the 99 names of Allah mean violence. Similarly, every religion stands for peace.
- Terrorism is destroying lives, destabilizing regions and putting the world at great peril. Terror reach is growing and the toll it is taking is increasing.
- India has always embraced and found it easy to embrace pluralism since it is embedded in the oldest Sanskrit religious text “The Rig Veda” and I quote "Ekam sat vipra bahudha vadhanti", which means “God is One but learned men describe him in many ways".
- I come from land of Mahatma Gandhi where every prayer ends with call for 'shanti' that is peace for all. I convey our best wishes, support and solidarity in your quest for stability, peace, harmony, economic growth and prosperity for your people and world.
- If we want to save humanity, we must tell the states who provide shelter and funding to terrorists, to dismantle the infrastructure of the terrorist camps and stop providing shelter and funding to the terror organisations based in that country.
- The fight against terrorism is not a confrontation against any religion. It cannot be. Just as Islam literally means peace, none of the 99 names of Allah mean violence. Similarly, every religion in the world stands for peace, compassion & brotherhood.
For all the Latest World News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published : 01 Mar 2019, 01:23:17 PM