Two Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire in Gaza, the medical sources have stated on Sunday. Reportedly, four soldiers were also wounded when an improvised explosive device blew up along the border with the Palestinian enclave.
The explosion on Saturday, which left two of the Israeli soldiers severely injured, was one of the most serious incidents on the border of the Hamas-ruled enclave since the Islamist movement and Israel fought a war in 2014.
In response, Israel's army said it attacked "18 terror targets belonging to the Hamas terror organisation" in two waves of air strikes.
"Eight targets were attacked in a military compound near Deir el Balah, which belongs to the Hamas terror organisation, including weapon-manufacturing and training infrastructures," a statement released early Sunday read.
An earlier statement said the fighter jets had targeted "six military targets in Gaza belonging to Hamas, including: a terror tunnel in the Zaytun area and military compounds near Deir el-Balah and Khan Yunis".
The army also reported that a "launch was identified from the Gaza Strip at Israeli territory", with a projectile hitting near a home in a southern Israeli community.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at a security conference in Munich called the Gaza border incident "very serious" and pledged to "respond appropriately".
A Palestinian security source said the Israeli air strikes hit three bases belonging to Hamas in the east of the blockaded Gaza enclave.
Two Palestinians were injured in the raids, Palestinian medical sources said.
Earlier in the day, the army said "two soldiers were severely wounded, one moderately and one slightly" when an improvised explosive device blew up along the border fence with Gaza.
None of the soldiers lives were in danger, a spokesman clarified.
In response Israeli forces said a tank quickly opened fire at an "observation post" in southern Gaza, causing no injuries on the Palestinian side.
Palestinian security sources said the explosion took place east of the city of Khan Yunis.
Israeli army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus said a "rogue group" had claimed responsibility for the blast, likely indicating one of the more radical Islamist groups who are present in Gaza.
But he insisted that "from our point of view Hamas is responsible" and said the explosive had been planted during a protest arranged by the group on Friday.
Israel holds the Islamist Palestinian movement Hamas responsible for any fire coming from the blockaded coastal enclave.
The Israeli army responds automatically to any strikes on its territory, generally targeting Hamas facilities.
Hamas armed wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, in a statement said they had fired at the Israeli jets overhead.
But Conricus said there was no truth to the claim.
Hamas and Israel have fought three wars since 2008, and the last conflict in 2014 was waged in part over tunnels from Gaza that were used to launch attacks.
Israeli aircraft hit Hamas targets in the southern Gaza Strip repeatedly in early February, after it said Palestinians there fired a rocket into the Jewish state.
Tensions between the Palestinians and Israel have been high since US President Donald Trump recognised Jerusalem as the capital of the Jewish state in December.
Netanyahu will visit the White House next month, a senior US administration official told AFP on Friday.