For the first time in five years, the number of females per 1,000 males-in Capital has crossed 900. The data was registered births released by the Delhi government on Wednesday.
Figure was 901 in 2010: As per the annual report based on registration of births and deaths in Delhi; Sex ratio at birth was 902 in 2016. Sex ratio at birth in 2015 (898).
However,the figure for 2016 marked the first time that the sex ratio surpassed 900 since 2010, when it was 901.
The recorded sex ratio at birth was 893 in 2011, 886 in 2012, 895 in 2013 and 896 in 2014.
The report, released by Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, showed that the total registered births in Delhi in 2016 was 3.79 lakh, of which 52.6% were male, 47.4% female and the remaining were of the ‘others’ category, which includes transgenders.
“The report reveals that the average number of births per day in Delhi during 2016 is 1036 and average number of deaths is 387. Thus the net natural increase in population of Delhi is 649 per day and 2.37 lakh in a year. The remaining increase in the population of Delhi is due to migration,” Delhi government said in a statement.
It also showed that more mothers were under 19, while majority of mothers who gave birth were between 20 and 24 years of age, the number of mothers under the age of 19 has increased from 2.75% to 3.10% in 2015.
The proportion of mothers aged 35 years and above also increased marginally.
"The Infant Mortality Rate per thousand live births has decreased by approximately by two per cent-- 23.25 in 2015 to 21.35 in 2016," he added.
Infant mortality rate is the number of deaths of infants under one-year-old per 1,000 live births.
Around 1.42 lakh deaths in 2016
On an average, the birth rate per 1,000 population was 20.38, with the total number of institutional births being 86.74%.
Meanwhile, the total number of deaths registered in 2016 were 1.42 lakh, up from 1.25 lakh in 2015.
Around 64% of the total registered deaths were in hospitals, with the remaining 36% were domiciliary deaths.
The infant mortality rate, which is the number of deaths of infants under one year of age per 1,000 live births, decreased to 21.35 in 2016 from 23.25 in 2015.
According to the report, since the average births per day were 1,036 and the average deaths per day 387, the net natural increase in Delhi’s population was 649 per day or 2.37 lakh a year.
It further said that the average number of births registered in Delhi during 2016 were 379161 as compared to 374012 during 2015 and 373693 during 2014. "Out of 379161 total registered births, 199358 (52.6%) were male and 179738 (47.4%) were female," Sisodia said.
He also informed that the total number of deaths registered in Delhi during 2016 were 1.42 lakhs as compared to 1.25 lakhs in 2015. "Average number of deaths registered per day in Delhi works out to 387 during the year 2016. The death rate per thousand population works out to 7.61 during the year 2016. About 64% of the total deaths were reported by the Hospitals and remaining 36% were domiciliary deaths," Sisodia added.